SoHo Bears Signs of Unrest After Night of Looting

SoHo Bears Signs of Unrest After Night of Looting

Workers board up storefront windows of upscale SoHo shops after they were ransacked by looters during violent George Floyd protests that swept through Manhattan. – New York, NY / USA – June 1, 2020 (Shutterstock)

By Ben Fractenberg, THE CITY

SoHo showed the scars Monday morning of another night of protests against police brutality.

Local residents and tourists wearing masks stopped to watch workers repair windows of high-end shops and national brands, smashed the night before.

SoHo-based fashion designer and store owner Nicolas Petrou ran to his business Sunday night after seeing reports of looting and damage during protests in the area.

The door to Broadway Market Co., which gives space to local artisans, was smashed and some sneakers stolen, Petrou and other workers said. The designer was initially alarmed by the destruction, but soon put the losses into perspective.

“You have to look at the overall picture here. It’s not one broken store. It doesn’t mean anything,” the designer said while siting in front of his Broadway storefront Monday morning.

“The overall result of this, hopefully, will be that the people who take the money, influence elections, can influence the police to change their laws on how they deal when a cop kills an innocent person.”

While the damage was extensive, repairs were being made quickly Monday and many stores appeared to have plenty of merchandise. Yet remnants of violent encounters remained. The charred innards of a torched NYPD vehicle littered the street.

And some advertisements created jarring juxtapositions.

Some of New York’s most vulnerable were also caught up in the conflict.

Abed Campos said he was sleeping under scaffolding on Lafayette Street when he was suddenly awoken by screaming.

“It was a nightmare. It was very scary,” Campos said. “I was jumping out of the sleeping bag, standing on top of the sleeping bag because I didn’t know what was going to happen.”

He said he was “hit with a firecracker,” but managed to avoid any serious injury. He fell back asleep at about 5 a.m., before rising again for another day on the streets of New York.

This story was originally published on [June 1, 2020] by THE CITY.”

Leave a Reply